Have you ever made yummy homemade butter with your kids? It's super easy and turns out great! All you need is a little patience and some elbow grease. It's also FUN!
How to make your own butter
What you need:
jar with a tight-fitting lid (a mason jar works well)
1 pint of whipping cream
1/8-1/4 tsp salt or sea salt (depends on size of jar and preferred taste)
a few marbles
1. Fill your jar about halfway full with whipping cream
2. Put in marbles and secure the lid. (the marbles help the process to go faster)
3. Start shaking the jar (it helps to have a few people take turns shaking)
4. After 4-5 minutes you should start to see/feel a difference in the consistency of the cream. Add the salt and put the lid back on.
5. Keep shaking. Once you feel like there is a solid mass in the container your butter is done. This could take anywhere from approximately 7-15 minutes depending on several things like pasteurization, shaking strength, etc.
6. Dump the contents into the colander to separate the butter from the buttermilk. Your butter should stay good for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. ENJOY!